Restoring the Past, Building the Future
The project involved a major redevelopment, extension and remodelling of a Listed Church.
- Demolition and removal of existing single storey Church Halls.
- Construction of new two storey Church Halls.
- Alterations and refurbishment to existing Church Sanctuary and former School House to form a crèche.
- External site works.
A key challenge was the retention of structural elements within the existing Listed building, along with major parts of the external fabric. This involved underpinning the old building, introducing a new internal steel support frame, stabilising the existing masonry walls, all whilst retaining the original roof structure, and then forming large openings in the existing internal walls to create a new open plan space, linking through with the new extension block.
The facility now includes a new welcome area, Minister’s room, offices, crèche, youth room, a sanctuary with seating for 305 people, stores, a music area, coffee bar, kitchen, meetings rooms, toilet & wash rooms, stairs and a passenger lift. Externally, a new bitmac carpark was created to the rear.
Dundonald Presbyterian Church Information
A bit more information about the the Dundonald Presbyterian Church project.
- Status complete
- Client Dundonald Presbyterian Church
- Architect Architects Knox and Markwell
- Quantity Surveyor The Williamson Johnston Partnership
- Structural Engineer Doran Consulting